Week 20: Omega 3 Challenge:
Did you know that about 95% of Americans aren’t getting enough Omega 3’s in their diet!?
All fat is not created equal! Omega 3’s are on the front line of defense against inflammation – which as you may have heard, is at the root of nearly every disease. It’s
SO important to make sure we’re getting enough of this in our diet!
So what makes omega-3 fats special? Studies show Omega 3’s can:
- Boost your immune system
- Improve mood and prevent depression
- Help lower blood pressure, cholesterol and plaque buildup in the arteries which can help prevent against heart attack and/or stroke
- Reduce your risk for cancer
- Help with concentration and learning
- Improve the quality and health of your skin
- Help prevent diabetes by stabilizing blood sugar levels
- Reduce muscle, bone and joint pain
In other words, your body needs these healthy fats to function properly!
Here’s the catch….your because body isn’t capable of producing them on its own. This means you MUST consume them as a part of your regular diet.
What are the best sources of omega 3’s?
Here are a few: mackerel, salmon, cod liver oil, herring, oysters, sardines, anchovies, tuna, walnuts, grass-fed beef, organic eggs, flax seeds, chia seeds, and hemp seeds.
You may even prefer to take an Omega 3 supplement if you’re not getting enough naturally in your diet.
If you want to learn more about Omega 3’s, here’s a great article: authoritynutrition.com/omega-3-guide
So there you have it!
Are you up for focusing on Omega 3’s and eating more Omega 3-rich foods (or supplementing) every day this week?!
Write in a comment below if you accept this challenge!