Week 16: Swap Your Milk Challenge!
Today, you can find many alternatives for animal milk, yogurt, and other dairy products in the supermarkets. The number of people drinking and using them is rising, so there are a lot more options out there than there used to be!
Regular milk has a lot of potential negative effects on your body- including leeching calcium from your bones (yes- this is true!), causing inflammation in your body, and causing digestive problems because 75% of the world’s population is genetically unable to digest milk!
Even if you don’t feel the negative effects from drinking regular milk, I encourage you to give some of these other options a try!
1. Almond milk – light and tasty; it also contains a lot of vitamins such as E and B, magnesium, calcium, iron, even healthy fats!
2. Coconut milk – thick with subtle coconut flavor and high in healthy saturated fats.
3. Cashew milk – has the least nutty flavor of all nut milks and it is also a great source of healthy fats, copper, magnesium, phosphorus, iron, and zinc.
4. Hemp milk – made from hemp seeds and has watery texture. It is high in omega-3 fatty acids, which is important for heart health.
5. Rice milk – low in fat, neutral, easy to digest.
Since people have different tastes, I would recommend you experiment with a couple of different options to see what you like the best! Just make sure whichever option you choose is not loaded with sugar or other strange ingredients. Remember- the fewer the ingredients the better!
If you want to make your own at home, try this recipe: wellnessmama.com/366/organic-almond-milk-recipe
Are you up for the milk swap challenge this week? Which milk are you going to try this week!? Let me know in a comment below!